Why Professor Hippo-on-Campus?
What will I learn in the 8 modules?
You will learn, along with Professor Hippo, about…
- Why Professor Hippo?
- Stress, Resilience and Coping
- Emotions, Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Creating a Mental-Health Positive and Inclusive Learning Environment
- Communicating with Stressed and Distressed Learners
- Recognizing and Responding to Students in Distress or Difficulty
- Accommodations: Context and Process
- Mental Health Matters for Educators and Navigators
Who will want to take this program?
- Educators (those teaching and supervising students academically)
- Sessional instructors
- Teaching Assistants
- Research Assistants
- Postdoctoral Fellows
- Clinician Educators
- Navigators (those interacting with, supporting and supervising students in other ways)
- Full-time staff
- Part-time staff
- Contract staff
- All Employees of McMaster (those who have access to Mosaic can register)
Will I receive a certification?
Participants who complete all of the following steps to certification will receive a “Certificate of Attendance” for completing the Professor Hippo-on-Campus program.
|Steps to Completion and Certification||Timeline|
|1. Complete the Pre-survey BEFORE viewing the modules on Avenue to Learn. Sign up for the Pre-Survey. Once you have registered, you will receive a link via email to complete the 10-20 minute survey.||You have 2 weeks (after registration) to complete the survey.|
|2. Sign up for the course on Mosaic. It can take up to 24 hours to show up as a course on your Avenue to Learn.||Sign up anytime.|
|3. Once the Pre-survey is complete and you are registered in Mosaic, you can start accessing the 8 modules on Avenue to Learn. You must complete the final quiz (takes 1 minute) in Avenue to Learn when you have finished the modules.||You have 3 months/12 weeks to complete the modules after completing the Pre-survey.|
|4. Complete the Post-survey after quiz and module completion. The link to this survey will be sent to your email by the program within a week of quiz completion.||You have 4 weeks to fill out the Post-survey after completing the quiz.|
What are the benefits of becoming certified?
In addition to all of the practical skills and knowledge you will acquire…
- You receive a Certificate of Attendance for completing the full program and can say you a a “certified” Professor Hippo-on-Campus participant.
- You will receive a printable sign or sticker which lets others know you care about student mental health.
- You will be eligible for future educational or training opportunities offered by Professor Hippo-on-Campus at McMaster
- We will contact you about future educational or training opportunities offered by Professor Hippo-on-Campus at McMaster
- You will retain ongoing open access to the most up-to-date set of modules and all of the attached resources on Avenue to Learn, which you can access anytime.
- You can have your name shared with McMaster leadership and the McMaster community (optional) to let them know you are a student mental health supporter.
How can I register for the program?
- Log in to Mosaic.
- Open the “Regulatory Training” section.
- Click “Search by Course Name”
- Enter “Professor Hippo”
- Click “View Available Sessions”
- In the column called “Session,” click on the available session number.
- You will be prompted with the online class details. Ignore date and time listing as this course is online. Click “Continue”.
- This will generate a “Submit Training Request.” Click “Submit”
- It will take approximately 24 hours for your course to appear in Avenue to Learn.
- Don’t forget – you must complete the pre- and post-surveys in addition to the modules in order to be certified and recognized as completing the program.
Questions about the program?
Contact email@example.com if you have questions about this program.