Call for Participation: iAM Human Steering Committee
McMaster Faculty member, Dr. Brenda Vrkljan (Professor, Occupational Therapy) together with a cross-faculty team, has been awarded funding by the MacPherson Teaching and Learning Institute (IDEAs Grant) alongside the McMaster Institute for Research on Aging (MIRA) for an educational project focused on advancing equity and diversity with an ‘inclusive’ aging lens.
In March 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) identified ageism as a global challenge with 1 in 2 individuals identified as having ageist attitudes. This platform aims to provide a forum, including training, that can support interactions between learners/trainees and community members that advance intergenerational inclusion. The proposed platform also extends the notion of mobility, which has traditionally focused on physical accessibility, to include social mobility and corresponding barriers, such as stigma, prejudice, and discrimination, that can impact our attitudes and beliefs about others. With its focus on inclusive aging and mobility (iAM) and working in partnership with underrepresented groups and members, we have coined the proposed teaching and learning platform the iAM Human – Conversation eXchange.
We are seeking interested and intersectional members of the McMaster community (e.g., graduate/undergraduate students/staff/faculty/retirees/community partners) to join a ‘Steering Committee’ that will both inform and transform the design and development of the proposed platform (May 2022-March 2023). As valued members of the steering committee, you will be compensated* for your contributions. Your role is expected to include the following:
- Attend (bimonthly) meetings where you provide input/suggestions on the development and design of the platform
- Consult your respective personal and professional networks to seek feedback, when needed and/or appropriate
- Advise on the project – an open door policy – your input/feedback is always welcome
*Compensation will be discussed with each member
Ideally, those interested in being part of the iAM Human Steering Committee will have experience in some combination of the following:
- Scholarly experiences in the areas of equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion,
- Professional experiences in the areas of equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion,
- Volunteer experiences in the areas of equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion, and/or
- Lived experiences as equity-seeking persons, with a strong desire to contribute to the development of the intended platform
Please email Brenda (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a short paragraph that briefly summarizes your experience and interest in joining the iAM Human steering committee. Thanks in advance for your interest in joining our team.